In CCL, all our work involves creating political will. Here is a simple, yet important, way you can help.
Contact Your Legislators
All Michigan residents are represented by two U.S. senators (Senator Debbie Stabenow and Senator Gary Peters) and one member of the U.S. House of Representatives. If you’re not sure who your U.S. Representative is, you can look it up on this website by entering your address.
It is important to call and / or write to your legislators to let them know what you care about. Below are some sample phone scripts, tips for writing letters, and contact information for the Michigan delegation.
Sample phone scripts:
Hi, my name is and I’m a constituent from . I’m very worried about global warming and would like Senator/Representative to treat this as an urgent issue and start working on solutions. I support Carbon Fee and Dividend legislation and I hope Senator/Representative will also. Thank you!
Hi, my name is and I’m a constituent from . I’m very worried about global warming and would like Senator/Representative to treat this as an urgent issue and start working on serious legislation to fix this problem. Thank you!
Tips for writing letters:
- Appreciate your senator or representative for something.
- Briefly introduce yourself and state your concern about climate change.
- Tell your legislator you support Carbon Fee and Dividend, a fee on fossil fuels with revenue rebated directly to all households.
- Ask for action now.
Sample talking points:
- An economic study by REMI found that Carbon Fee and Dividend would significantly reduce emissions AND create jobs.
- British Columbia implemented a revenue-neutral carbon tax in 2008 and it has been successful at reducing emissions and helping their economy.
- Former Secretary of State George Shultz advocates for a revenue-neutral carbon tax as a conservative approach to addressing climate change.
- We are already feeling the effects of climate change and paying for it.
|Michigan Member of Congress||DC Phone|
|Senator Debbie Stabenow
719 Griswold St., Suite 700
Detroit, MI 48226
|Senator Gary Peters
477 Michigan Avenue, Suite 1860
Detroit, MI 48226
|Representative Dan Benishek
3301 Veterans Drive, Suite 106
Traverse City, MI 49684
|Representative Bill Huizenga
4555 Wilson Ave. SW Suite 3
Grandville, MI 49418
|Representative Justin Amash
70 W Michigan Ave, Suite 212
Battle Creek, MI 49017
|Representative John Moolenaar
200 East Main Street, Suite 230
Midland, MI 48640
|Representative Dan Kildee
801 S. Saginaw Street, Plaza Level
Flint, MI 48502
|Representative Fred Upton
157 South Kalamazoo Mall Suite 180
Kalamazoo, MI 49007
|Representative Tim Walberg
110 1st Street, Suite 2
Jackson, MI 49201
|Representative Mike Bishop
711 E. Grand River Avenue, Suite A
Brighton, MI 48116
|Representative Sander Levin
27085 Gratiot Ave
Roseville, MI 48066
|Representative Candice Miller
48701 Van Dyke Ave.
Shelby Township, MI 48317
|Representative Dave Trott
625 East Big Beaver Road, Suite 204
Troy, MI 48083
|Representative Debbie Dingell
301 West Michigan Avenue, Suite 400
Ypsilanti, MI 48197
|Representative John Conyers, Jr.
33300 Warren Rd, Suite 13
Westland, MI 48185
|Representative Brenda Lawrence
5555 Conner Avenue, Suite 3015
Detroit, MI 49213